Thursday 7 June 2018

2017-18 Awards

Here's a little follow up to the anniversary post:

The Best Game I Played This Year: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. I'm a big fan of metroidvania games in general, and the GBA Castlevania games in particular, and AoS is the best of those. It's a decent length game for a new player, but I ended up powering through it in a (very enjoyable) evening.

The Worst Game I Played This Year: CIMA: The Enemy. Everything about this game is terrible, and another 20 competing games under my belt have shown that it really is that bad.

The Spyro the Dragon Hidden Gem Award: (Game I knew nothing about which turned out good) Turok: Evolution. Based on the lack of any information, and the fact it was a portable tie in to a home console game, I assumed this was going to be a bit shit. Turned out to a decent Metal Slug-alike I had some fun with. Nothing world shattering but decent enough.

The Incontinent Cat Hidden Turd Award: (Game I knew nothing about which turned out bad) Lufia: The Ruins of Lore. I thought this was going to be a decent if unremarkable JRPG. Turned out to be an excessively slow and horribly dragged out game that demoralised me by the end. (CIMA would have been a good candidate for this too but I thought I'd avoid awarding it twice).

The Phantom Menace Award for Biggest Disappointment: (Game I knew about and thought was good) Riviera: The Promised Land. I knew a fair bit about this, and had even played the beginning before. However it turned out just kind of slow and meh in the end.

The Duke Nukem Forever Award for Biggest Hold Up: Final Fantasy V Advance. A long JRPG combined with other life stuff resulted in me putting the game down for a long hiatus.

The E.T. Award for Laziest Tie-in: Shrek: Hassle at the Castle. There was some competition for this one, but the strange platform brawler gameplay, short length, and almost identical playable characters clinched it.

No comments:

Post a Comment